Reading My Way Around the World

Saturday 20 February 2016

Last minute

Getting ready for a trip is a bit like the start of a New Year for me - I like to try and get things finished up so that there's not a heap of unfinished work waiting for me when I get back or worse still, cluttering my mind while I'm away.
So right now, I'm rewriting a choir arrangement of a song for a workshop, finishing a jumper for myself (if it's still on needles when I come home, it'll never get finished), reaching out to people for folk club bookings in the UK for April 2017, making loads of Skype calls to the friends we're visiting in the next few weeks, getting the house organised for visitors staying while we're away (we had a leaking pipe which had to be fixed yesterday) and getting publicity material printed and sent out for our German tour coming up in May.  I still have a few days left, so whatever gets done will have to be enough.


All this is keeping me away from packing which if I could have gotten away with it, would have been started 3 weeks ago.   When I was 10 I went to boarding school.   There was a whole list of things had to be bought - blankets, sheets, etc etc as well as new school uniforms and all the paraphernalia that went with that.   It was all packed into a trunk that stayed in my mother's bedroom.   Every time something new was bought it was packed away, but not until I had taken everything out first to look at it all again before adding the new item.  I can still smell all that lovely new linen.

Packing still gives me that thrill.  Especially the opportunity to buy and wear summer clothes that have barely seen the light of day these past several years.   Just looking at all that lovely colour sends shivers of delight through my whole being :)

Now that my cold has finally been drugged into submission (although now Tom has picked has been floored by it) and the worries about not being able to sing last weekend are no longer on the horizon, I am finally free to thoroughly enjoy the sheer excitement that comes in waves thinking that in just 4 days time WE WILL BE IN THE SUN!!!  And for nearly seven weeks of it .... oh sheer joy.   If there is even one drop of rain in that time, all contracts are off lol

Have a lovely weekend

Fil

8 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful break!!! I'm afraid I don't enjoy packing! was it deliberate that your knitting needles were lying in a heart shape??Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even noticed Kenzie :) A happy coincidence

      Delete
  2. Hi Fil - have a fantastic time .. and just enjoy all that happens - the house will be packed, visiting looker-afterers will be there .. the jumper will be finished - lovely colour ... and you'll both have the time of your lives - warmth ... and Aussie comforts ... cheers and good luck with everything .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hilary - yes, all done even the jumper - sitting in Dubai, lovely and warm :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, dear Fil, just this morning I was thinking of your cold and that I was sending you good vibes - and that's so cool to know you are OK, although now Tom is not. Well, he has 4 days to recover and the sun later will help a lot! I enjoyed knowing about your packing when you are a child, and all went to your mum's bedroom - I can imagine the excitement! I loved to know that you know how to knit! That's so nice, really! Well, I hope everything gets ready, they will and that you enjoy your 7 weeks of sunny weather a lot! Pls keep us posted when you have time, I would love to know how it is going! Hugs and good vibes!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise for the good vibes - a bit of warmth and magically all is better. I've been knitting since I was very small but don't do so much any more - but glad to have that finished. I'll get a post up in a couple of days.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous colour you chose for your sweater.Can't wait to see your finished product.
    Have a wonderful time on your trip...soak up the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie - it's a lovely colour but I can't seem to get a decent picture of it finished that shows the colour properly ... will try again in a few days.

      Delete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)