Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 27 January 2017

Five on Friday - Catching up on reading

I'm joining in today with Five on Friday run by Amy at Love Made My Home.

I haven't been out taking many photos over the past while, so I thought I'd focus on some recent reads - here are 5 I've really enjoyed.

The winter months are great for catching up on reading and I have been bingeing - both on my Kindle and in the lovely big juicy properly printed versions.  So here's a few  to mention in case you're looking for some reading ideas...

I have taken the synopsis on each book from Goodreads.



All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize
From the highly acclaimed, multiple award-winning Anthony Doerr, the beautiful, stunningly ambitious instant New York Times bestseller about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

I thought this was a superb book and I really enjoyed it.  A very detailed account of  some parts of World War II told from the point of view of two young characters both of whom were very well rounded and very human.  5/5





The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby. 

This book was so moving ... and gripping..   I couldn't put it down.  A story about consequences - can't recommend it highly enough.  5/5





Peaches for Monsieur le Curé by Joanne Harris
When Vianne Rocher receives a letter from beyond the grave, she allows the wind to blow her back to the village in south-west France where, eight years ago, she opened up a chocolate shop. But Lansquenet is different now: 

This follow up to Chocolat by Joanne Harris was a great read - a bit of a soap opera, not too taxing, and most enjoyable .... I wish now that I had read Chocolat rather than just watching the movie - Joanne has a great way of describing food - I've read several of her books over the years and they always make me hungry!!  This one is a very timely look at the divisions of immigrants and natives .... 4.5/5





The Reader on the 6.27 by Didier Laurent
An irresistible French sensation - Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore meets Amelie - The Reader on the 6.27 explores the power of books through the lives of the people they save. It is sure to capture the hearts of book lovers everywhere. Guylain Vignolles lives on the edge of existence. Working at a book pulping factory in a job he hates, he has but one pleasure in life ...Sitting on the 6.27 train each day, Guylain 
recites aloud from pages he has saved from the jaws of his monstrous pulping machine. 
A thoroughly enchanting read - I loved the characters and the snapshots of the stories he reads .... Lovely .. 4.5/5


Hello Is This Planet Earth? by Tim Peake
 This is a great coffee table book.  I bought it for Tom for Christmas although really I wanted to look at it myself.  It was so exciting to follow Major Tim's journey to the Space Station and back last year - he's such a likeable man and his enthusiasm for all he saw and did comes across in this collection of photos from the Space Station.   With the added bonus that all his proceeds from the sale of the book go to the Princes Trust to help young people get some of the opportunities he had in his early life.  And it was just announced that he's heading up into space again ... excellent.  5/5

Have a lovely week and if you have time, check out some of the other people participating in Five on Friday.  Thank you Amy for putting this together.



23 comments:

  1. I always love book recommendations; yours look great. Will have to look them out at the library. Thanks :) B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of a couple of them, but my to be read pile currently stands at seven. I just daren't hunt out any more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must take a look at Tim Peake, Hello is this Planet Earth! My imagination will soar! Love your post, visiting here from five on friday. I am a new follower and will return to read more! ~GDazee~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful books! Love seeing reading posts - it's one of my favourite things to do. I like my kindle but there is still nothing like a lovely real book.

    Happy Five on Friday - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read! I hope you enjoy your books :)

    I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2017/01/tea-time-report-cards-and-stationary.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books! I enjoyed Joanne Harris book too and like you she always makes me hungry. Must look out for the Tim Peake book, he has such a great way with children and adults - very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to summarise your book reviews like this. The Tim Peake book sounds really interesting, a lovely book to have around and dip in and out of I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the great recommendations, they sound brilliant reads. I'll have to remember them when I'm ready for a new book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fil - thanks for the recommendations ... the 6.27 sounds a great read, Joanne Harris always writes to entertain and involve us ... while the Tim Peake book - is proving successful - I bought it for my brother as a simple read and for others to look at when they visit ... but our geology class recommended it ...

    Lovely photo of you with your guitar - good to see you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just followed you on Spotify ... cheers H

      Delete
    2. Ah thanks Hilary :) That's great ... You can ignore me if I implore people's help here too at a later stage ... it might take a while for us to get to the target we need.

      Delete
  10. I sooo miss your posts, deat Fil, and I hope you are now fully recovered! I looved this post, as it gives recommendations of books, stories that can change our lives, that add something to us, enrich our days and future. I love learning through other people's experiences. So, I would love to read the first book, All the Light we cannot see, but I reckon it would be too tearful for me, and I cannot bear tears now... :( The second, though, is like made for me :) The light between oceans. Ok, I know I would also cry, but the story is a bit intriguing, I feel compelled to find how it ends :) The 3rd and 4th one seem to be great, but I really loved that the 5th book, Hello is this Planet earth?, by Tim Peake, gives money to a fund to foster a "space career", since many who dream to work in the area don't have the financial means to do that. I really enjoyed your readings and I hope you have a great weekend! Next Saturday it will be anniversray time :) One year that we met each other! I could well meet you at that cafe again now! Many hugs and regards!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read a couple of these, but not The Reader on the 6:27. I'm an absolute sucker for books about books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read the first two books and concur with your 5/5 ratings. Both of them have stayed in my mind for a long time. The next two I'm going to add to my list of books to read, and the third would make a wonderful gift for anyone interested in human challenges and space. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sound like excellent reads Fil. I am presently stuck in a rut with my reading and only want to read one author. Even though I have read most of her books anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a beautiful blog and your header photo is lovely! The books sound very good, thank you so much for sharing. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a beautiful blog and your header photo is lovely! The books sound very good, thank you so much for sharing. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I loved the movie Chocolat, and just watched it the other day. I have the DVD. So, I need to read the sequel. Thanks for the recommendations. I wrote a couple of them down (or I'd forget!) I have one you might like, I recommended it on my blog a couple of weeks ago. The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. Enjoy reading!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy - I think there might be another one in between too - when I was getting quotes from Goodreads, this one was listed as Chocolat Number 3 - must check it out.

      Delete
  17. It's downloading time, All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel Audio Book is available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a big reader but have books in the ready. Lovely to see Comhaltas Melbourne at the bottom of your page. We would to have more visitors Sing, set dance, play music or just visit us on a Wednesday Night, have the tea and a chat you never know who you might meet everyone welcome. Any plans for another visit Downunder Fil & Tom.
    Best Wishes from all at Comhaltas Melbourne. Find us on the Web & Facebook Mary Fitzmaurice McBride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary - how lovely to hear from you. We have no plans to come back to Australia at the minute but you never know what's around the corner

      Delete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)