Reading My Way Around the World

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Favourite Christmas Recipe - Advent Day 13

In Holland and Germany special brews of beers come out for the Winter, stronger flavours more suitable for cold weather.  And among all the different tastes, smells and flavours that we traditionally have at this time of year, our own special drinks are equally perfect for Christmas and I get all excited when I see Baileys on the shelves.  

However, my favourite is sloe gin - homemade in Autumn, or leftover from the previous year.   On its own over ice, or a small drop in the bottom of a glass of bubbly is the ideal Christmas flavour.  


This is the remains of last year's Sloe gin - still yummy

The sloes were ready very early this year - we picked these on 1st October
They're still in the freezer but I'll get around to them early in the new year
and have a new bottle ready for next winter.
I'm joining in this month with  Julie's Advent Scavenger Hunt  

13 comments:

  1. I must say that I don't like gin but my Mum is a huge fan of making and drinking this too!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't taste like gin at all Kezzie - much sweeter - you'd only have a very small glass after a meal

      Delete
  2. Only sloe gin I am familiar with was bought not home made. In Cornwall we used to drink Long Pedlars, sloe gin and bitter lemon. Never heard of putting a drop in a glass of fizz. Never seen sloe gin here, but then I've never looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make cherry brandy the same way Jo

      Delete
  3. My parent used to make Sloe Gin

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm a teetotaler & will admit to never trying much in the way of alcohol. I did a handful of times as a teenager, but just didn't like any of it. Enjoy making your next lot in the New Year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had to really suffer to get to like it as a teenager Susan :) I don't drink much either but I do enjoy the different flavours

      Delete
  5. I've never tasted Sloe Gin...but I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love sloe gin...even more so now you've told me about adding it to bubbly...bit like a kir royale perhaps. I was dancing at a local brewery a couple of weeks ago and I was able to try a pint of their Winter brew. It was delicious. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fil - I'm sure it is .. just now-a-days I can't drink gin ... so that solves my problem! Kir Royale I'll have though ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)