Reading My Way Around the World

Friday 5 January 2018

Resolutions and mobile phone

Calm sea this morning after Eleanor passed
I don't normally make New Year's Resolutions.

But this year I've been held to task ....

... about my Mobile Phone....

I hate the things - or should I say, I hate using them as a phone lol

I have an iPhone which I use to take photos, to listen to music, to do my voice exercise from, to record melody ideas and lyric ideas, to check my email, to keep a shopping list and a dozen other trite things throughout each day, especially when I'm on the move, or mobile (there's a clue in the name).

However, if you want to phone me and you call me on my mobile you have about a 1 in 10 chance of catching me.  Because the phone will either be in the other room, be on the charge, be out of charge, be switched off and in the other room, be in the bottom of my handbag ....

My take on it is if you want me urgently phone me at home.   If there's no answer then try the mobile because I may actually be out and have it with me.   If it's not urgent send me a text or an email and I'll get back to you.

So my new year's resolution is to give in and start gluing the stupid thing to my pocket and keeping it with me at all times.

There's one mailing list that I need to send a newsletter to from time to time - there's about 15 people on it.   Last time I had to send it via email, text, messenger and what's app and there was still someone didn't see it!!!   I give up.

How do you manage?   Do you still have a landline?  Does anyone call you on it?  I'd love some tips, because I'm losing friends by snapping at them when they say "you're hard to find" and I retort "don't phone me on the mobile!"   Oh dear.
The offending article.
Now that it's sitting here beside me, no-one will call, or text..
Typical.
Talking of telephones, I read a great book recently by a local Northern Irish writer, Bernie McGill.   It's called The Watch House and is set on Rathlin Island when Marconi's men were setting up the first trans Atlantic phone experiments.   Great read, well written and very well researched.  

6 comments:

  1. The only people who ring me are those who don't know me! They know to text me or message me on the computer, I avoid talking on the landline phone as best possible! But there are sometimes I just have to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People just text me. I have my phone on silent most of the time!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book about the first trans Atlantic calls, I think it must be great! Dear Fil, I am just the same... about mobiles. I had to smile about "ideas of melodies" - I do the same :) And the same about forgetting the mobile. Just like yours, it's in another room, or without re-charging, or off, or if in the bag no volume, so I don't hear calls, and so on... But one thing I must tell you - real friends will write an email, a text and will wait for an answer when we see the messages. If they are "put off" because of our lack of love for mobiles, then I am sorry, not so real friends... if technology is the only thing that links people, well... trying not being judgmental, but... no, there are other ways to connect. I understand that whatsapp is cheaper, but as I said, a text - and some waiting hours - is totally understandable :) Hope you have a beautiful weekend, dear Fil! Hugs!
    DenisesPanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fil, just catching up as our visitors have flown home to UK, so am free now to blog read. Nasty mobiles!! I have a very old one which only does talk & text, so gets used very little, as I'm still a fan of landlines. My home phone has a messagebank/voicemail, so I expect people to leave a message if I miss them & most know this. Mobile is handy for special messages for my younger brother (I'm his guardian due to his disability) & sometimes when away in the caravan. Hubby has one of those more upmarket contraptions. Growing up we didn't have a phone till I was ten.(lol) I don't read much, but I think that book would interest me, as my Dad was firstly telegram boy, then morse code operator & finally a telegraphist until the early computer age. Laying the cable across the Pacific & Atlantic were something I heard many stories about. Thanks for joining in the Advent Calendar, which I dropped out of for various reasons. Take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fil - the book does sound interesting ... and is now in the 'one day' list! Mobile phones - I need to sort out what to do re phones now I'm on another continent ... the coming weeks will get that to happen. I don't do nearly as much as you do with yours though - again something I need to brush up on while I'm here ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Fil - I'm 100% with you on this one. It's a rare occasion when I actually have my phone with me, so I consider it luck of the draw if you want to call me on it. And frankly, I'm fine with that, and have gently trained my friends into perhaps not-so-delighted submission. But the truth is, I'm not willing to be available in every moment. I've set a life goal for myself never to be so continuously plugged in that I actually need to take a media fasting break as so many folks seem to need to do these days. ;-) Good luck with your resolution. BTW - love your case.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)