Reading My Way Around the World

Sunday 14 January 2018

Rumbledethumps

Isn't that a great word ?   Rumbledethumps ... makes me smile every time I say it?

Well, this is the reason ...
Turnip or Swede?


Whether you call it a turnip or a swede (here it's turnip, over in England it's a swede) ( I think it's also called Rutabaga ) this is a staple root crop at this time of the year and in our organic veg delivery we get one at least every other week.   And I get very bored with it.   So today I went in search of something else to do with it and came up with 

Rumbledethumps 

 .. a recipe by Sue Lawrence on the BBC Food website
It sounds like something out of a fairy tale forest.

Basically you just boil potatoes and turnip, separately cook some kale or curly cabbage in butter, then add to the spuds and turnip and mash together.   Season, top with some cheese and put in the oven for 30 minutes covered and another 15 minutes uncovered.   

And it was yummy.


Have you any other nice suggestions for this?  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fil - love that sort of dish ... and I was buying swede when I was back home ... we use it as an essential in what my mother would call a proper Cornish pasty - 'recipe' here ... but small quantities of each and tiny morsels ... just tastes better that way when cooked ...

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.ca/2012/03/cornish-pasty-world-championships-at.html

    I don't do recipes per se - as I never properly follow them ...

    also any left over mix can be made into a pie or stew ... delicious!! Not a lot of swede granted ... but lots of veg always good for one -

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sounds delicious. I add them to casseroles in my slow cooker & also just mash them with potatoes, as I also do the same with sweet potato or pumpkin. Love vegies more than meat, so more variety is high on my list. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a fairy tale forest, dear Fil! And it looks definitely yummi! I like turnips and potatoes :) I confess I never cooked turnips, but I like when I eat them :) I hope you have a beautiful week, dear Fil, enjoy it with some delicious food :)
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)