Reading My Way Around the World

Saturday 28 March 2015

Helping Hands

A Show of Hands


I recently won a lovely prize.
A package full of Hands.

It was from the lovely Deborah at  Temenos of the Blessing Light Blog, which is one of my favourites to read on a regular basis - full of wisdom of the ages mixed with humour.  And Deborah has a great love of treasures.  
This package held such a trove of delights - lots of tiny hands, one that looks like it comes from Bali, a Hamsa from Israel, a chart on reading the lines of the hand and a book on sign language... so many aspects of hands.   I love it.  

And it came at a perfect time - when I was feeling a bit swamped.   So I've christened these my helping hands.  And they're making me feel helped everytime I look at them.  More in control.  They have a calming influence and bring a smile to my face.  They still haven't all found homes, but that'll come in its own good time.  Thank you so much Deborah :) 

A bit of palm reading anyone?
There was another little treasure in the parcel as well - which arrived incidentally on Christmas week, beautifully wrapped  - did I say that I love presents?
The only problem is I can't find it, cos I was showing it to someone else and now it has vanished - it'll be somewhere safe I know, but it's in that safe place which may take a while to locate.
The language of the hands

My husband has a theory about 'things'.   You know - the things that you simply can't come out of a shop without? ... that your life won't be the same without?  Well he reckons that by the time he (that should read I in his mind) get them home, the 'things' have turned to 'stuff' and before very long it has turned to 'junk' !!!   I have tried very hard to educate him, but it's not working and I end up going through mad rushes of chucking stuff out - at times I have to agree with him ... only at times, mind you! 

However, Deborah has a totally different view and she has given me the language to be able to defend my 'stuff' lol   

How about you?
Are you a minimalist?  Or is your house packed with little treasures?

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely package to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely...My house is packed, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. minimalism....ha ha ha ...think not

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fil - I'm going to make a concerted effort in April to get rid of some stuff ... and what a great set of hands to receive - no wonder they're your helping hands .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift! I love it.

    I'm definitely not a minimalist though I have tried to get rid of a lot of the things I don't need around any more in recent years.

    When we moved in we had this massive old monitor box sat in the spare bedroom which was full of stuff. Some stuff got taken out of it but other stuff got put on top so it was never emptied. About two and a half years after we moved in it suddenly occurred to me that I'd not touched most of it since we'd moved in, so it couldn't really be all that important to keep.

    I whittled it down to a much smaller box of stuff but I've not touched most of that in a year so I'm sure it's due another clear out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm more of a minimalist than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm listening to 'Beneath The Calm' as I say 'I love little treasures' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness I love your hand collection.....I have hands all over my house in various media. What a sweet friend and a sweet gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the kind words Fil, and the idea of helping hands delights me.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop me a line ... I love to read your comments :)